Hey there, I’m Meghan. Most days you can find me at home, doing something creative, domestic, or both! Over the past years I have spent a lot of time as a musician, a student, and a professional photographer, but these days you’ll mostly find me home with my troop. I love being a home-maker, and feel passionate about living with intention and purpose in all the mad minutiae and all the big-picture things, too. I have a great love of life and a lot of enthusiasm about people – about who they are, what brings them life, and the things that matter to them. I’m someone with a ton of creative energy, and an impulse to question and seek out the value of the things we do. I’m hoping that all these things dovetail into a meaningful experience for YOU on this blog!
My goal here is to give you a window into my and my family’s journey toward making our HOUSE a HOME, and in so doing, to encourage and equip you – practically, with DIY ideas, or personally, with my own learnings and musings.
The things I am most passionate about in life are: Connecting and creating.
Connecting: My most important relationships are with my God, my amazing husband (of TEN years!!), my 2 wild and wonderful children, the rest of my fam, my friends. I really care about people and connecting well with them! Marcus and I joke that I have all 5 love languages. I don’t really, but I do love Love.
Creating: I love cooking, not cleaning, crafting, sewing, inventing, imagining, graphic design, photography, DIY home projects, decorating, problem solving, growing and influencing my kiddos. All things creative. I love the ability to be creative that is inherent to being human. It’s latent in some of us, and really obvious in others, but it’s there in us all. I find life in engaging in activities that produce something “new” (or renewed, revised, fixed, etc.). Beautifying the world is important and valid work. And beautifying our houses can be a gift of hospitality to our families and the people we invite into our space.
If living with purpose and creating things that bring life to your home is something you care about, this blog is for you! I want to inspire and encourage you on this messy-beautiful journey, as I, too, seek to live out values of hospitality and grace and goodness in my physical space with my real, messy-beautiful people.
If you’re dying to hear more, here are five things you might not know about me.
- I was a solo musician for several years in my twenties! And I still do some songwriting and worship leading in my local church.
- I’m wild about cheerios. I eat them almost every evening for snack. And they have to be plain Cheerios with 1% milk. I mean it. Sugar ruins the milk. It’s a major thing! Don’t mess with my Cheerios. Marcus makes fun of me about it – I take huge mouthfuls with a too-big spoon because the ratio of milk to cheerios has to be *just so*.
- I have my MA in Theology from an amazing grad school called Regent College.
- I used to study dogs obsessively. Like, I took out books from the library as a kid and memorized the breeds, studying all the details about them. Our current pet is a sweet, sensitive “Double Doodle” (that’s seriously the breed name!) named Finn. We adore him.
- Before having kids I did lots of intense camping trips – I even carried canoes all by myself. I also had a reputation for being slightly daring – I used to do crazy tricks on water skis and wakeboards. I used to ride in the back two boots of 2 slalom skis while my strong buddy went in front, and once we were going, I would climb up his back and stand on his shoulders, before wiping out epically, of course.
Still here? Let’s connect! Sign up for the Under The Elms email list by scrolling back up to the top of this page and using the subscribe button.